About Great Wall Marathon
The Great Wall Marathon is a tough, beautiful and definitely extraordinary experience. The 5164 steps of the Great Wall will put your physique to the test, and the breath-taking surroundings will compete with your tired muscles for attention. The Great Wall Marathon is the ideal way to combine an unusual running event with exploring one of the world’s most astonishing sights.
No runner should enter The Great Wall Marathon® believing that this is an easy course. However, no one shall think this is an impossible challenge reserved exclusively for a running elite. It takes a lot of training and willpower to succeed but on average, 25% of the earlier “combatants” has premiered as marathoners on the Great Wall. Don’t be scared; just make sure to come prepared.
Other facts about the Great Wall Marathon:
- From 1999-2013, 15,420 runners have crossed the finish line at the Great Wall Marathon.
- The half marathon distance was introduced in 2001.
- In 2003, the Great Wall Marathon was cancelled due to SARS.
- 5K and 10K distances were added to the event in 2004.
- The course was changed to its current form in 2004 when a dam, built south of Huanyaguan, flooded parts of the original route.
- 15,000 bottles of water are carried on foot to the wall on the morning of race day.
- Henrik Brandt from Denmark is the only runner to complete all 13 editions of the Great Wall Marathon.
- Over 2,400 runners participated in the 2013 Great Wall Marathon.
- In 2013, the 5K and 10K distances will be discontinued and a 7.5K Fun Run was introduced.
- In 2014, the 7.5K distances will be discontinued and a 8.5K Fun Run will be introduced.
About the Culturestone Event:
Culturestone Event Co.,Ltd. is a well established company that concentrates in the race organization. It is an AIMS member and having good relationship with many of the other race events in the world.
Go For An Amazing Race
Great Hakka Marathon
The Great Wall Marathon Head Office,
Culturestone Event Co. Ltd.
Address: 1209 unit3 Building 40,
Shouyishangcheng, Xingfeng Street,
Daxing District, Beijing. PRC
Tel: (8610)-63552521 / 68512395